Saturday, January 9, 2016

Reverse engineering a hot tub

I changed the water in my hot tub today and so I had a lot of time on my hands, so I took the controller cover off and tried to figure out how it works. My main purpose was to try to figure out how the control panel interfaces, mainly so that I can contemplate some kind of remote monitoring interface. I know that some models of Balboa controllers have WiFi options, so I figured there must be a communications interface somewhere. There definitely is. The existing (very simple) control panel is connected via an 8-pin RJ-45, and there's a spare one right next to it. There is one removable chip on the board labeled with something looking like a version number. I peeled the sticker off and, surprise it's a PIC18F2420 microcontroller. That's great - I already have programming tools and a C compiler for that. My next step is to try to find a schematic for this board. If I can do that then the feasibility of entirely replacing the control software is high. The hardest part probably would be figuring out how to talk to their existing control panel.

No comments:

Post a Comment